The Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics (CAPMAS) is the official statistical agency of Egypt that collects, processes, analyzes, and disseminates statistical data and conducts the census. The Egyptian Geospatial Information Portal was established as the groundwork for building a unified geospatial platform for the national statistical system —empowered by CAPMAS — as a prototype, before expanding the platform to include the other Egyptian government key player institutions.
This platform is created to unify all these efforts and upscale the existing success stories through providing a unified platform based on Esri state-of-the-art GIS technology, developed, operated, and maintained by CAPAMS resources, that matter will guarantee the sustainability of the platform.
- Platform Sustainability: the platform was built with a special focus on capacity building, knowledge transfer and using a joint development approach.
- G2G Alignment: availing access to this geo-empowered content, encouraged the dialogue to include more government institutions in this platform, and to make sure that these G2G initiative is working to link all government institutions under one-formal-umbrella.
- Knowledge Transfer: efforts exerted to transfer this experience to the African countries and beyond Africa.
- Global Recognition: The Egy-GeoInfo Portal has received excellence awards and been presented in various international forums on open data approach and advanced information technology such as:
- Receiving a shield of the effective partnership with the Government of Egypt and WFP Egypt Country Office 2016.
- Winning of Sheikh Khalifa Excellence Award as best smart E-Gov. application in 2016
- Winning of the Special Achievement in GIS (SAG) Award – USA -2017.